Creating a unique headboard for our master bedroom was one of the most satisfying projects I've completed thus far. I knew I wanted to do something unique. After looking around at different ideas, and changing my mind several times, I settled on using salvaged barn doors.
I am lucky my dad is a hoarder of old items like I am. He always has a vision for what he finds and keeps, just like I do. In his corn crib, I found two halves of a barn door that worked perfectly for what I needed.
To start, we needed to cut off the handle on the side of the door facing the wall so the door was flush when it came time to hang it. We used a Cutoff Saw to get the job done.
Next, I stained the doors with a stain/poly mix in the color "Honey Pine." I used the same stain that I used on our kitchen cabinets and the wood trim of the new opening to our living room for consistency in wood color throughout the house.
Joel marked out the studs in our bedroom with our new handy, dandy stud finder. Because the weight of the doors was a bit heavier than the artwork we were used to hanging, we wanted to make sure to secure them to studs in the wall for better stability. The blue tape indicates the studs we were working with.
After positioning and leveling, we started placing the long screws. (SIDE NOTE: This is a three person job! Two people holding the doors, one person placing screws.)
Before I moved everything back into place, I hung some screen artwork I created with leftover black paint and a salvaged screen.
When that was done, I got everything back in order and marveled at how great everything turned out! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. My contact info is under "Contact" on my blog.
Here's the final product: